September 15, 2013

Multi-stop shopping


One of the most common differences I encounter between living in the States and living in Chichicastenango is the shopping experience. After shopping at Walmart for 3 months this summer, it was a big change to come back here and take my normal trek through town to gather what I need.

Each store is within a few blocks of the others, but with cars zooming past, broken sidewalks, and air thick with car fumes, it seems like quite a task. I shop each Wednesday, and here is the route I took this week:

1. Parked in one of town's two parking lots.
2. Stopped in Elektra, an appliance store, to see if they had any little-kid bikes. Nope, none small enough for Veronica.
3. Carpentry shop to buy a board to prop up one of our sagging plastic tables at home. The man trimmed and cut a board to the measurements I gave him.
4. Plastic store for clothesline clips and cleaning gloves. They had a cute little bike, which I will get another time if they haven't sold it already. This store sells trash cans, plastic bowls and bins in all sizes and shapes, dishes, disposable cups and plates, plastic sheeting, and an assortment of toys.
5. Ice cream store for a treat for Elena who came with me this week. The girls take turns coming with me for safety in pairs. We don't buy scooped ice cream, but the pre-packaged items seem to be fine.
6. Hardware store for washers to help our car battery clamp fit better. Had to draw a washer on a piece of paper and ask how to say it in Spanish.
7. Plastic-sheeting store to visit the Sunday school director of our church, who works there, and let him know we are back in town.
8. ATM to get cash, which I use at every store except the small grocery store, which fortunately takes a credit card.
9. Store that sells pre-packaged meats and cheeses and yogurt (and liquor) to see if they had any ham in a chunk... nope, just sliced. This store is the only one where I have found decaf coffee, but they were out. If you ask when a store will get more of something, the answer here is always “next week.” I have figured out that means “probably not ever.”
10. Paper-products store for whiteboard markers and masking tape.
11. Things-for-animals store to buy flea powder. I have to keep a fresh supply around the wall near my bed and one of my daughters' bunk beds to keep the bedbugs away.
12. Thread store to buy an embroidery hoop for a counted cross-stitch project for Carrie.
13. Girl sitting in an aisle of the market selling beans. I bought 3 pounds of “piloes,” a type of dried bean they sell here. She held up her balance made of two bowls hanging from a stick with a string in the middle. She put a bag of something in one side (supposedly weighing a pound) then put beans in the other bowl until it was averagely level. I have no idea how much that bag weighed, but the end result looked like about the right amount.
14. Fruit lady's stand in the market for bananas, plantains, pineapple, and canteloupe.
15. Vegetable lady's stand in the market for potatoes, carrots, red bell pepper, onion, and a few other veggies. She has an actual scale.
16. Walked past an old lady that is always sitting in her wheelchair in the hot sun begging. I always give her a quetzal, which is about 13 cents. She can hardly talk, but I found out her name is Anastasia and she loves it when I speak a bit of K'iche' to her. I'll have to take her photo sometime and post it here. Beautiful, wrinkly old face with a huge smile.
17. Banana cart for some more bananas. I always walk by this guy and his bananas are small but usually not too banged up.
18. Back to the car to deposit all this stuff before hitting my final stop: the “grocery store.”
19. Grocery store for bread, ketchup, yogurt, chips, cookies, eggs, etc. There is quite a variety, even including some “American” foods, but with American prices, so the locals don't buy much of those items. I was excited to find peanut butter this time!
20. Paid 15 quetzales ($2) for 3 hours of parking.
21. Drove home and spent several hours putting away groceries and disinfecting the fruits and veggies.

After that long list, I will mention a few places I didn't stop this time, which are sometimes on my way, too: the chicken guy, the beef butcher guy, the pharmacy, the auto parts store, the craft store, and the piles of used clothes.   Whew, I didn't really know how many stops there were until I wrote this blog entry!