August 26, 2017

Motorcycles

When we first moved to Guatemala, I was worried about people on motorcycles because I had heard they would rob your cell phone.  Maybe that is true in Guatemala City, but here in Chichicastenango, my view has changed!

I snapped this photo outside the school on the same street as our house because it is a common sight here.  Now that we have lived in Chichicastenango for over six years, I actually know many of the motorcycle riders in our town.  It isn't unusual for Tomás or Kike or Víctor, who attend our church, or Kevin or Juan or Ernesto, who work at stores in town, to ride by me and shout, "Hola, Erica!"

Hardly anyone here wears a helmet, however.  That is a very unsafe practice of course, but at least I am able to see the person's face as they ride by!  Now, instead of being afraid of unknown motorcyclists, I find myself looking at riders to see if I know them!