September 21, 2014

Manifestation

One day I left to go shopping and drove past a long line of cars waiting to head north on the highway.  As I got further along, I had to skirt around rocks in the road and then a smoldering pile of tires.  By this point, I had figured out that it was probably a manifestation in process, and I didn't want to turn around and drive back home.

So I called Michael to let him know something was up, and I did my regular shopping in town.  By the time I finished, not even any tuk-tuks were driving through town, which was odd, so Veronica and I stayed and waited in the grocery store parking lot.  A few other missionaries from another mission walked by and invited me to wait at their place on the other side of town.  That sounded like a safer idea, so we waited there until about 5:30 p.m., when the roads finally had cleared.

This "manifestation" turned out to be a protest by the bus drivers against the unpaved section of highway where a detour was put in around a landslide last year.  It was full of potholes and caused very slow driving through that section.  Apparently, money had been given to the town to pave it, but there was suspicion that the leaders had taken the money for themselves.
The unpaved detour was full of potholes.
Results of the day's protest.  This is a
sign by the detour that says
"We are working."