February 2, 2012

Micaela

I am so grateful to be able to hire a maid, Micaela, part-time 6 days a week to help me wash dishes and clean the house.  Also, more recently, she has been babysitting Veronica 3 hours a week so that I can study K'iche' during that time.  We pay her Q10 (quetzales) per hour, which is $1.30, a good wage here.  Micaela learned Spanish after she got married, so K'iche' is her primary language.  I certainly have a lot more learning to do before I will be able to talk to her in K'iche'!  :)



We invited Micaela (on the left) and her family over for dinner.  Her husband is Miguel Ángel, and her children from left to right are Viviana (15), Kimberly (12),  Ángelito (10), and Delfina (18).  She also has a married daughter and a 1-year-old grandson.  After dinner the kids all played a card game called Phase 10.  We had a nice visit!